[Dovecot] Dovecot on FC3 with Active Directory authentication

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazquez at ivazquez.net
Sat Oct 8 20:41:55 EEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 11:23 -0700, Jeff Ramsey wrote:
> On Oct 06, 2005, at 11:16 AM, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 10:28 -0700, Jeff Ramsey wrote:
> >
> >> /etc/pam.d/ssh, /etc/pam.d/login, and /etc/pam.d/gdm all have a line
> >> calling mkhomedir.so, which is using the /etc/skel home directory
> >> skeleton to create the user's home dir upon successful login,
> >> however, when I add that line to /etc/pam.d/dovecot, I get a
> >> permission denied error in /var/log/maillog. I'm assuming this is
> >> because dovecot is running as the user at this point, and therefore
> >> does not have the necessary permissions to create a folder under /
> >> home/DOMAIN/, which is where the home dir is supposed to be. If I
> >> manually create the folder, and set it's permissions, or if the user
> >> logs in via any of the before-mentioned methods, dovecot and sendmail
> >> work great.
> >>

> > Which section did you add it to?
>
> Here is my /etc/pam.d/dovecot:

Based on what I've been able to find on the web it appears that your
conjecture is correct. The dovecot daemon simply doesn't have the proper
permissions to create the home directory.

AFAICT the only way to really fix this is to set the permissions
on /home to 0777, which of course has security repercussions of its
own.You could also write a daemon that creates home directories when a
new user is created, but I don't know enough about your environment to
give a starting point.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net>
http://fedora.ivazquez.net/