[Dovecot] Invalid Headers

Brant Fitzsimmons brant at bfcomputerconsulting.com
Sun Oct 16 23:12:58 EEST 2005

On Sunday 16 October 2005 12:07 pm, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 12:49 -0400, Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have been trying to compare Dovecot to Cyrus and in trying to to
> > migrate some mail from Dovecot to Cyrus I am unable to do so because of
> > an invalid header.  The From header is incorrectly written as From> as
> > opposed to the correct From: .  Any idea what may be causing this and
> > how to fix it?
> >
> > My setup is Fetchmail->Postfix->amavis-new->clamav->dovecot for dovecot
> > and Fetchmail->Postfix->amavis-new->clamav->cyrus for cyrus.  When
> > receiving mail in the cyrus setup I don't have the problem.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> Do you mean you have no "From:" headers at all in mails, only "From>"?
> That'd most likely show all your mails as having no sender, so you
> probably mean you have both? Or is the "From>" the mbox's From_-line?
>
> Anyway, Dovecot is less strict than Cyrus in accepting broken headers,
> so maybe the mail was just added by some IMAP client?

I apologize.  It appears that there are two From: headers in the emails.  One
is valid and one does not have a colon after it.  I think that the From> was
my email clients way of dealing with the lack of a colon.  Let me explain.

When I was unable to transfer, within Thunderbird, emails from a Dovecot IMAP
account to a Cyrus IMAP account I transferred them from the Dovecot account
to a local folder.  I then did a search and replace in the mbox file to
change the From> into From:.  After doing that I was able to transfer the
emails from the local folder to the Cyrus IMAP account without any further
trouble.  This took a long, long time considering the number of emails and
folder I have.  I didn't once think it was strange that there were two From:
headers.

The From: header that is correct in the Dovecot emails is also correct in the
cyrus emails.  It's this extra From that is causing the problems.  Could
Postfix or Procmail (I forgot to put procmail in my original post) be adding
it?

--
Brant Fitzsimmons
brant at bfcomputerconsulting.com
"Strange times are these in which we live when the old and the
young are taught falsehoods in the schools of learning. And the one
man that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and
a fool."
							-Plato