[Dovecot] Large IMAP operations tend to timeout and cause problems?

Cor Bosman cor at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 20 12:06:30 EEST 2005

Hi,

> For example if I select 400 messages, mark them deleted and use "purge
> command" in Thunderbird (to actually delete them) TB starts to do
> something and runs and runs and runs....Then I get script timed out
> errror and I have to restart TB. That never happened with Courier-Imap.
> Same thing happens for example moving 1000msgs to another folder or
> something like that.
>
> Another thing is still that from time to time dovecot indexes get
> corrupted and users can't access some folders. Then I have to delete
> dovecot* in that Maildir folder and it works again.

Unfortunately no solution, but just want to say we see some of these problems
also. There definately still are index corruption bugs, causing different
types of problems. We have recently started using memory indexes to see if
it really is dovecot, and all problems with customers went away. Ofcourse
this isnt a definate solution, we really want to have normal indexes working
again :) It may be related to accessing it at the same time from different
clients.

I havent seen any problems recently with large mailboxes, but I have in the
past so i wouldnt be surprised if there are still issues there.

This is alpha3, indexes on local disk. (when we're not using memory indexes).

Cor