[Dovecot] Case of %n (feauture request)

Alexander Shikoff minotaur at crete.org.ua
Mon Oct 24 11:32:04 EEST 2005

Hello,

I'm using dovecot not for a long time but I've newer seen most powerful
and handy POP3/IMAP server. Thank Timo for dovecot; thank community for help!

I would like to notice that %n is case-sensitive: it always stores user part
of login without case conversions. As a result there are some inconveniences
with virtual user organization, for example:

password_query = SELECT `password` FROM `users` WHERE login = '%u'
user_query = SELECT "mbox:/var/mail/virtual/%d/%n:INBOX=/var/mail/virtual/%d/%n:INDEX=MEMORY"
	AS `mail`, 101 AS `uid`, 101 AS `gid` FROM users WHERE login = '%u'

In this example authentication works perfectly but user can not access it's
mailbox because all mailbox names are lower-case.

I think it would be more handy to make %d, %n and %u aliases lower-case
and introduce three new aliases %D %N %U which store values without case
conversions. But I'm not enough skilled in C to write a patch... and now I'm
waiting for comments on this and answer from the developer.

Thanks in advance, Alexander.

--
Kind Regards,	Alexander Shikoff
minotaur at crete.org.ua