[Dovecot] choosing syslog facility?

Udo Rader udo.rader at bestsolution.at
Mon Oct 24 16:54:28 EEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 14:31 +0200, Dominik Werder wrote:
> Hello!
>
> How can I log dovecots messages into a separate file?

from the example config file:
------CUT------
# Use this logfile instead of syslog(). /dev/stderr can be used if you
# want to use stderr for logging (ONLY /dev/stderr - otherwise it is
# closed).
log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
# For informational messages, use this logfile instead of the default
info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
# Prefix for each line written to log file. % codes are in strftime(3)
# format.
log_timestamp = "%b %d %H:%M:%S "
------CUT------

> Is it possible to set a custom syslog facility name somehow?
>
> I can't set the log file in dovecot because dovecot does not automatically
> rotate the logs like syslog does..

syslog does not automatically rotate logs, logrotate does this. And if
you marry dovecot and logrotate, your dovecot logs will get rotated as
well :-)

Udo

--
bestsolution.at EDV Systemhaus GmbH