[Dovecot] choosing syslog facility?

Lorens dovecot.fdop at tagged.lorens.org
Mon Oct 24 17:08:14 EEST 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 02:31:12PM +0200, Dominik Werder wrote:
> Hello!
>
> How can I log dovecots messages into a separate file?
> Is it possible to set a custom syslog facility name somehow?

Can't answer your question directly, I hope someone else does,
but

> I can't set the log file in dovecot because dovecot does not automatically
> rotate the logs like syslog does..

Strictly speaking, syslog does not automatically rotate the
logs, or at least I've never seen a syslog that does (except
maybe OpenBSD's newsyslog, which rotates the files, but I seem
to remember that it complements but does not replace syslogd).

The different programs I've seen that rotate logfiles usually
rename the file and send a HUP to the logging process, which
tells them to close and reopen all log files.

I just checked, and dovecot stable1.0 reacts in precisely that
way (well, according to the log files it also rereads config
files and reconnects to mysql, but that's just as well).

So, to make your dovecot log files rotate, it should be
sufficient to identify the program that does the rotating on
your flavour of operating system and tell it to take care of the
dovecot files as well.

HTH.