[Dovecot] Asserion Failure in Current CVS

Todd Burroughs todd at hostopia.com
Sat Oct 29 01:56:38 EEST 2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 17:58 -0400, Todd Burroughs wrote:
>> Just installed the version from CVS as of Oct. 27.
>>
>> I noticed three problems quite quickly:
>>
>> My INBOX closed with "access error" after reading it for a bit.  There's
>> nothing in the logs or anything, but this hasn't happened for quite a
>> while now.  There where quite a lot of incoming messages at the time and
>> I was marking messages as deleted using pine.  After reverting to the
>> last version of dovecot that I was using and restarting pine, it opened
>> quickly (no reindexing) and the deleted emails where marked as deleted.
>> I don't know if this helps much ;-)
>
> Well, I don't know what "access error" means.. And do you mean you
> didn't try again with the new Dovecot, just reverted to old one?

I reverted back to the old one, as the new one was generating a lot
of errors.  As far as I can tell, "access error" means that the imap
server dropped connection.  Usually I see a crash when this happens.
I'm running today's CVS version now and haven't seen any errors,
although it is late Friday...  This may have just been a coincidence.

>> dovecot: Oct 27 16:58:12 Error:  13481 imap(username): file
>> mbox-sync-rewrite.c: line 393 (mbox_sync_read_and_move): assertion failed:
>> (need_space == (uoff_t)-mails[idx].space)
>
> Is this from older Dovecot too? I hoped I had fixed this yesterday.

This is from the newer one.  The last Changelog entry was this:

         * configure.in: typofix

This user hasn't logged into the newest version yet.  I see a couple
entries in the new Changelog regarding mbox-sync-rewrite.c, so maybe it
is fixed.

Todd