[Dovecot] Feature/bug starting from xinetd

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Oct 31 14:29:20 EET 2005

Hi, I hate to have my first post be a bug, but this drove me crazy for
a while.

I compiled the latest version from source and followed the instalation
instructions. I then copied the xinetd.d entries from the Wiki and
proceded to test.

No matter what I did I could not log on. I found that while I was editing
/usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf, nothing was hapening. I then started it
manualy and found several errors in my editing. :-)

After fixing the errors and getting it to work properly, I went back to
running it from xinetd. It would not allow me to log on, nor would it
use any of the loging options I set.

After making a symlink from /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf to /etc/dovecot.conf,
it worked perfectly.

My suggestions:

	1.	Change the Wiki to point out the difference in the config
		file location.

	2.	Change the inetd version to default to /usr/local/etc.

	3.	Add (and/or document) an option to the inetd version to
		specify config file location.

Thanks,

Geoff. ( A very happy Dovecot user, thanks for a good product).

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
You should have boycotted Google while you could, now Google supported
BPL is in action. Time is running out on worldwide radio communication.