[Dovecot] New Install Assistance

Cliff Hayes chayes at afo.net
Mon Oct 31 17:04:07 EET 2005

Hello,

I built a Fedora 4 sendmail server to replace our old one.  I wanted to try
the stock Dovecot popper (we currently use pop3d).  I tried implementing
Dovecot this morning and failed.

All I want to use is the POP portion (no IMAP).  From what I could find on
the Internet, all I had to do is change dovecot.conf protocols line to read
like this:  protocols = pop3

Apparently, that wasn't enough.  Here are the errors I saw in maillog:

Oct 31 07:54:23 sendmail dovecot: child 25511 (pop3) returned error 89
Oct 31 07:54:24 sendmail pop3(cliffhayes): mbox: Can't create root IMAP
folder /home/cliffhayes/mail: Permission denied
Oct 31 07:54:24 sendmail pop3(cliffhayes): MAIL environment missing and
autodetection failed (home /home/cliffhayes)

Now, I did find out that I had a permissions problem with /var/spool/mail (I
had done an SCP of all our users to var/spool/mail on new box).  All user
mailboxes had root/root as user/group.  I know how to fix that for next
time, but why is it trying to use a home directory (we don't use those)?
And what MAIL environment is missing?  Do I need to mess with the following
settings:

#   default_mail_env = maildir:/var/mail/%1u/%u/Maildir
#   default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
#   default_mail_env = mbox:/var/mail/%d/%n/:INDEX=/var/indexes/%d/%n

Thanks,

Cliff