[Dovecot] reading subfolders with mail.app

Alan Premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Mon Sep 12 09:00:07 EEST 2005

Patrick Galbraith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been having  a hard time using Fedora Core 4 with dovecot
> +sendmail. Namely, I cannot read my home dir's procmail filtering dir
> (where I have some subfolders) in ~/mail. I cannot create mailboxes
> either. I'm wondering if this is a client issue, and whether I need  to
> switch to Maildir, which I'd like to do, but don't know how to  with
> sendmail (with postfix, it's a piece of cake).
>
> Any advice on what my problem is? I'm all ears!
>
> regards,
>
> Patrick

Patrick,

assuming that you're using procmail as your local delivery agent with
sendmail (which seems to be the defacto standard at least on linux) you
could switch to Maildir format simply by providing a / at the end of
your mail directory variable definition for procmail. (check the docs
for details)

If I'm not mistaken, earlier versions of procmail didn't support this,
but any current version should.

also, make sure your client software doesn't have something like
"~/.mail" or anything in the IMAP mail path setting (not sure what that
is for mail.app off the top of my head as I use thunderbird)

anyways, hope this helps.

alan