[Dovecot] reading subfolders with mail.app

Patrick Galbraith patg at mysql.com
Mon Sep 12 09:08:54 EEST 2005

On Sep 12, 2005, at 8:00 AM, Alan Premselaar wrote:

> Patrick Galbraith wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I have been having  a hard time using Fedora Core 4 with dovecot
>> +sendmail. Namely, I cannot read my home dir's procmail filtering
>> dir  (where I have some subfolders) in ~/mail. I cannot create
>> mailboxes  either. I'm wondering if this is a client issue, and
>> whether I need  to switch to Maildir, which I'd like to do, but
>> don't know how to  with sendmail (with postfix, it's a piece of
>> cake).
>> Any advice on what my problem is? I'm all ears!
>> regards,
>> Patrick
>>

> Patrick,
>
> assuming that you're using procmail as your local delivery agent
> with sendmail (which seems to be the defacto standard at least on
> linux) you could switch to Maildir format simply by providing a /
> at the end of your mail directory variable definition for procmail.
> (check the docs for details)
>
> If I'm not mistaken, earlier versions of procmail didn't support
> this, but any current version should.
>
> also, make sure your client software doesn't have something like
> "~/.mail" or anything in the IMAP mail path setting (not sure what
> that is for mail.app off the top of my head as I use thunderbird)
>
> anyways, hope this helps.
>
> alan

Alan,

Thanks for the info! So, what I changed was I changed 'MAILDIR=/home/
patg/mail' to 'MAILDIR=/home/patg/mail/', and then took out the '~/
mail' in the preferences for that account, and the boxes showed up!
Now, about MAILDIR, will this change the messages to be separate
files? What about the actual INBOX? I use "  default_mail_env =
mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u" in dovecot.conf. Is this correct?

regards,

Patrick