[Dovecot] reading subfolders with mail.app

Alan Premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Mon Sep 12 09:41:32 EEST 2005

Patrick Galbraith wrote:
...snip...

> Alan,
>
> Thanks for the info! So, what I changed was I changed 'MAILDIR=/home/
> patg/mail' to 'MAILDIR=/home/patg/mail/', and then took out the '~/
> mail' in the preferences for that account, and the boxes showed up!
> Now, about MAILDIR, will this change the messages to be separate  files?
> What about the actual INBOX? I use "  default_mail_env =
> mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u" in dovecot.conf. Is this correct?
>
> regards,
>
> Patrick

Patrick,

   if you're switching from mbox to maildir, you may want to look for a
script called mb2md, it should convert your mbox file(s) to maildir format.

also, if you change to maildir format with delivery (via procmail) then
you'll need to change your dovecot.conf *default_mail_env* from
mbox:~/mail:   to maildir:~/mail/

be sure to check the documentation for specifics... i'm going off of
memory and it's been awhile since i've tweaked my settings.

if you're not entirely familiar/comfortable with the switching to
maildir, you may want to stay with mbox while making sure you can access
your folders/etc first, and then once you're comfortable with how/why
that works, you can move on to switching to maildir format.

alan