[Dovecot] 1.0alpha2: how to reject specific users?

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Thu Sep 15 21:58:53 EEST 2005

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Marco De Benedetto wrote:

> Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:24:34 +0200
> From: Marco De Benedetto <debe at galliera.it>
> To: dovecot at dovecot.org
> Subject: Re: [Dovecot] 1.0alpha2: how to reject specific users?
>
> On gio 15 set, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>    In Qualcomm's qpopper, you can specify a list of users
>> to reject at authentication, even if they are otherwise
>> valid, by putting them in a file (/etc/pop.nonauth).  I
>> use this to occasionally ban users who bang on the system
>> needlessly until they Get a Clue.  I looked thru the
>> wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication pages and didn't see anything
>> like this feature.  Does it exist in 1.0?
>
> I have tried this:
>
> /etc/dovecot.conf:
> 	auth default {
> 	  mechanisms = plain
>
> 	  userdb passwd-file {
> 	    args = /etc/dovecot-noauth
> 	  }
>
> 	  # Other auth methods
>
> /etc/dovecot-noauth:
> 	luser1:*:42:42:luser1,,,:/dev/null:/bin/false
> 	luser2:*:42:42:luser2,,,:/dev/null:/bin/false

Per your advice, I set my dovecot.conf file up as:

auth default {
   mechanisms = plain
   passdb passwd-file {
     args = /etc/dovecot.nonauth
   }
   passdb pam {
   }

and added my test user to /etc/dovecot.nonauth like above.
He connected to IMAP with no problem, not what I want.
The default authentication method is PAM for everybody.
Any other suggestions??  My setup: 1.0alpha2, Solaris 9 using PAM,
imap and imaps, mbox format.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College