[Dovecot] 1.0alpha2: how to reject specific users?

Marco De Benedetto debe at galliera.it
Thu Sep 15 22:35:31 EEST 2005

On gio 15 set, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
> Per your advice, I set my dovecot.conf file up as:
>
> auth default {
>   mechanisms = plain
>   passdb passwd-file {
>     args = /etc/dovecot.nonauth
>   }
>   passdb pam {
>   }
>
> and added my test user to /etc/dovecot.nonauth like above.
> He connected to IMAP with no problem, not what I want.
> The default authentication method is PAM for everybody.
> Any other suggestions??  My setup: 1.0alpha2, Solaris 9 using PAM,
> imap and imaps, mbox format.

1.0alpha2, Debian, using PAM and I get this error:

Sep 15 21:07:11 localhost dovecot: chdir(/dev/null) failed with uid 42:
Not a directory  21:28:14

Anyway I don't like this so much.

Maybe using PAM is a cleaner solution:

/etc/pam.d/dovecot:
    auth required pam_listfile.so onerr=succeed item=user sense=deny \
     file=/etc/dovecot.noauth

/etc/dovecot.noauth:
luser1
luser2