[Dovecot] Feature Request: Config Dump

Thu Apr 6 15:32:17 EEST 2006

Hello,

One of the less friendly lists I am on is the Postfix list, but one of
the features that Postfix has, and the use of which is required when
asking for help on their list, is a command called 'postconf', which
simply dumps the current configuration parameters into a neat, orderly
output that you can then cut-n-paste into an email request for help. The
postfix guys won't even try to address a problem without this output (as
opposed to snippets from config files), combined with log snippets of
the failing behavior (as opposed to bounced message text, or 'it don't
work' comments).

So, what I'd like to see is something similar - a command that I can
issue that will cause Dovecot to dump all of the configuration
parameters it is currently using in a neat, orderly arrangement.

This would dramatically help individual users in troubleshooting their
own problems, as well as help people on this list help others. It would
totally eliminate all of the 'what is xys set to' questions back and forth.

But I'm more interested in how it will simply help me to see how I have
it configured, and allow me to easily spot conflicting or misconfigured
parameters.

--

Best regards,

Charles