[Dovecot] IMAP threading - the THREAD command

Jan Kundrát jkt at gentoo.org
Fri Apr 7 17:21:08 EEST 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> I don't really like that either. I don't have the problem with empty
> subjects, but the same generic subjects are used by different people
> once in a while, such as "Dovecot".

That's indeed true, but you'd also lose threading from those sucky
clients. I don't have any statistics handy but I'd say that it wouldn't
matter, though, so yup, my vote goes to completely removing checks for
subjects.

> I've been thinking about adding some time limits, like the subjects are
> grouped only if their date difference is less than, say, 3 days.

That won't be much effective, I'd say, but surely better than nothing.
I'd rather see a more robust solution, though.

> b) is probably easier since the subject merging is done only after
> removing the Re:, etc.

I meant that entirely skipping the processing of subjects seems to be
easier, but I haven't looked at the Dovecot code.

> While at it I think another thing that needs fixing is that threads
> should be sorted by their latest mail's received-date, not the first
> mail's date-header.

Oh, they aren't? I should probably re-read the draft then.

> If others agree with this, the REFERENCES2 algorithm could do both of
> these.

Agreed.

Cheers,
-jkt