[Dovecot] IMAP threading - the THREAD command

Grobian grobian at gentoo.org
Fri Apr 7 21:48:17 EEST 2006

On 07-04-2006 17:21:08 +0200, Jan Kundrát wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > I don't really like that either. I don't have the problem with empty
> > subjects, but the same generic subjects are used by different people
> > once in a while, such as "Dovecot".
>
> That's indeed true, but you'd also lose threading from those sucky
> clients. I don't have any statistics handy but I'd say that it wouldn't
> matter, though, so yup, my vote goes to completely removing checks for
> subjects.

This might sound a bit weird, but Mutt for example tackled this problem
by having (in threaded mode) a "strict_threaded" flag, that toggles
trying to do (some intelligent) subject matching, or only looking at
In-Reply-To headers.

I find that almost any email client these days sends proper In-Reply-To
headers, and hence, strict threading works fine (and if it doesn't, Mutt
of course allows to manually join and break threads).  So, I also think
subject matching is not necessary any more.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project