[Dovecot] consistency issue

Catalin Constantin catalin at bounce-software.com
Fri Apr 7 14:03:46 EEST 2006

Hi there,

We have our mail boxes stored on a NFS server and we use maildir for
mailbox storage.

Some days ago we had a crush and SOME of the mailboxes get an error on
QUERY: "EXPUNGE".

eg:
telnet localhost 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK Cabanova Mail ready.
A01 LOGIN "hoeschen@***.com" "***"
A01 OK Logged in.
A01 STATUS "INBOX" (MESSAGES UNSEEN RECENT)
* STATUS "INBOX" (MESSAGES 6 RECENT 5 UNSEEN 5)
A01 OK Status completed.
a01 SELECT "INBOX"
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft \*)] Flags permitted.
* 6 EXISTS
* 5 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1143550926] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 40] Predicted next UID
a01 OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.
a01 EXPUNGE
* BYE Mailbox is in inconsistent state, please relogin.
Connection closed by foreign host.

The issue i think it is related to the dovecot dovecot.* files located in
the user home.

After i delete thoes it works again !

Any clue how this can be solved by not manually deleting the dovecot.*
files (index files) ?

Thank you for your time !

--
Catalin Constantin