[Dovecot] consistency issue

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Apr 9 13:09:30 EEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 14:03 +0300, Catalin Constantin wrote:
> Some days ago we had a crush and SOME of the mailboxes get an error on
> QUERY: "EXPUNGE".
..
> a01 EXPUNGE
> * BYE Mailbox is in inconsistent state, please relogin.
> Connection closed by foreign host.

What does it say in Dovecot's logs? The log files show more informatic
error messages when this happens.

> The issue i think it is related to the dovecot dovecot.* files located in
> the user home.
>
> After i delete thoes it works again !

You mean if you don't delete them, this keeps happening every time?

> Any clue how this can be solved by not manually deleting the dovecot.*
> files (index files) ?

You said you use NFS. What Dovecot version? Have you set
mmap_disable=yes? What does lock_method contain? 1.0beta4 was the first
version where indexes stored in NFS should work well (and even then
mmap_disable and lock_method have to be changed from defaults).