[Dovecot] .'s in folder names

Magnus Holmgren holmgren at lysator.liu.se
Sat Apr 8 15:32:36 EEST 2006

Thursday 27 October 2005 15:01 skrev Timo Sirainen:
> On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 08:12 +1300, Craig Whitmore wrote:
> > Hi there
> >
> > We are trying to move over from 1 IMAP server to another, but the
> > problem is dovecot does not allow .'s in folder names (and we have
> > quite a number of people who do have .'s in their folder names (ie
> > "www.domain stuff")
> >
> > Is there anyway of allowing dovecot to allow .'s in folder names?
>
> Change MAILDIR_FS_SEP and MAILDIR_FS_SEP_S in
> src/lib-storage/index/maildir/maildir-storage.h to something else than
> "." (eg. "^" might be rarely enough used).
>
> After that it's no longer a "standard" Maildir++ though and you'll have
> to keep patching Dovecot for each new version. I may make this
> configurable from config file some day though.

According to http://www.courier-mta.org/?maildir.html, the period and the
forward slash can (should?) be represented using modified UTF-7, just like
non-ascii characters.

By the way, if I try to create a folder "foo.bar", Kmail says "Your IMAP
server does not allow the character '.'; please choose another folder name.",
but with Thunderbird a folder foo with a subfolder bar is created, with foo
greyed out and italic to signify that it can't contain mail. What gives?

--
Magnus Holmgren