[Dovecot] .'s in folder names

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Apr 9 18:00:23 EEST 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 14:32 +0200, Magnus Holmgren wrote:
> According to http://www.courier-mta.org/?maildir.html, the period and the
> forward slash can (should?) be represented using modified UTF-7, just like
> non-ascii characters.

Well, Courier-IMAP itself doesn't do that, instead it just gives
"Invalid mailbox name" if I try to give '/' character to it. Probably
other Courier products are able to do that.

> By the way, if I try to create a folder "foo.bar", Kmail says "Your IMAP
> server does not allow the character '.'; please choose another folder name.",
> but with Thunderbird a folder foo with a subfolder bar is created, with foo
> greyed out and italic to signify that it can't contain mail. What gives?

Because if you have namespace's hierarchy separator declared as
'.' (which is the default) then "foo.bar" means that you want to create
a "bar" mailbox under "foo" directory.

If you changed hierarchy separator to '/', then Dovecot could in theory
encode '.' characters in some special way to the mailbox name, but I
don't know if it's worth it..