[Dovecot] dovecot-dspam-plugin not launching dspam

Peter Fern dovecot at obfusc8.org
Tue Apr 11 17:42:57 EEST 2006

Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> hello,
>>
>>> 1) calling dspam from the commandline with the same parameters as in
>>> the (slightly modified) plugin works fine
>>>
>>> :/# su virtual
>>> :/$ /usr/bin/dspam --user retrain --source=error --stdout
>>> --class=spam --signature=4,4434846e237406491211187 --debug
>>>
>> That user looks odd. Is that intentional?
>>
> yes, if the "--user" option is missing dspam refuses to launch, but it
> is only a dummy user. when dspam is called it switches to user
> belonging to the signature.
>> I would guess that some environment is different, but I don't know.
>> dovecot is running as user 'virtual' in that setup?
>>
> no, dovecot is running as user dovecot. but to my understanding it
> switches to the userid of the virtual user accounts before
> reading/writing data to the maildirs.
>> Personally, I'm still running an ancient version of dspam with the
>> plugin. Maybe I'll run into the same problems once I managed to upgrade.
>>
> please inform me if you stumble across any solutions :-)
>
> stefan
Does the user 'retrain' exist in the virtual_uids table?  Also, you
really shouldn't need to specify --user to run dspam, the uid is stored
with the signature data, and I'm running without it...what error do you
get without --user?  This error also appears to usually be generated by
a problem with the LDA which is somewhat odd since retraining shouldn't
attempt to deliver the message.