[Dovecot] strip domains

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Apr 12 17:17:37 EEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 09:48 -0400, Michael Baird wrote:
> I don't
> know why there is so much resistance to supporting functionality that is
> mostly a standard feature with other pop3/imap servers, and which also
> makes it *much* easier to migrate to dovecot from other solutions which
> support the domain stripping.

I don't remember having seen all that much requests for this feature.
Perhaps lately several people have asked for it, but for the last 3
years there haven't been all that many people.

If I added a new setting for every single feature people asked,
dovecot-example.conf would be much larger than it currently is. And it
already is too large I think.

So instead of adding lots of special case settings, I prefer to add few
settings that can be useful for other cases as well. With that in mind,
how about a setting something like this:

# Username formatting before it's looked up from databases. You can use
# the standard variables here, eg. %Lu would lowercase the username or
# %n would drop away the domain if it was given. This translation is
# done after auth_username_translation changes.
#auth_username_format =