[Dovecot] strip domains

Michael Baird mike at tc3net.com
Wed Apr 12 16:48:33 EEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 16:05 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 09:36 -0500, Netlink Tech wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Running FC5 x86_64 with dovecot-1.0-0_8.beta3.rhfc5.at
> > Using system user/passwds for 99.99% of users...have sql user/pass enabled
> > to test virtual users from mysql.
> >
> > How do I strip off the domain when users provide user at domain.com so that
> > my userdb and passdb use just 'user'? (disregarding sql auth...I'm not
> > concerned with that right now).
>
> In general I don't see this as very useful feature. Why are your users
> logging in with @domain? Or why not change your passdbs/userdbs to just
> contain the domain, and set auth_default_realm so everyone always logs
> in with domains?

Because, my users don't follow directions well, and it saves tons of
tech support calls if we just strip the domain. They might have migrated
from another ISP where domain is necessary, and just think this is the
way to configure it.

Switching my entire userbase and billing/provisioning system to create
names with domains appended isn't a viable option for me at this time.
My current pop3 solutions strips domain names,I thought this was
essentially a standard feature for pop3/imap servers. I've seen many
people ask about this on the mailing list for quite some time. I don't
know why there is so much resistance to supporting functionality that is
mostly a standard feature with other pop3/imap servers, and which also
makes it *much* easier to migrate to dovecot from other solutions which
support the domain stripping. It is far easier for me to change a
setting on the server side, then it is to get 100's of users (probably
mad after the changeover) to change their settings (although in a
perfect world this is the best solution).

Regards
Michael Baird