[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.0 stable

Raymond Lillard rlillard at sonic.net
Thu Apr 13 02:36:25 EEST 2006

Continuing with the top posting mode :-( ...

What has been needed for at least the past year is to
separate feature development from bug fixing.

The strong evidence for this need is that several of the
beta releases have been quickly followed by another
release, (often within hours) solely to fix the previous
release. IMHO, the Dovecot project has matured to a point
where the biggest impediment to usage in mission critical
situations is stability of releases.

Timo, please do understand that I value the effort you and
those who work with you have expended on this project.  This
project is greatly needed by the Open Source community and
I applaud the results of your effort.   I also want to urge
you to separate development from bug fixing by making a formal
release, the sooner the better.

Making a formal release need not stop feature development,
even with v1.x.  Just use the venerable a.b.c model, where
"c" level releases are bug fixes and "b" level releases
indicate new features.

Thanks,
Ray