[Dovecot] Unoffical Survey - What MTA/Spam filtering do you use?

Tue Apr 18 15:56:31 EEST 2006

>> I have presently set up my new server to use Postfix and virtual
>> mailboxes. I want to add Dovecot to that and then do something
>> reasonable on top of it, like SpamAssassin.

I highly recommend that anyone who wants a very lightweight, *very*
effective, brain-dead simple (installation *and* maintenance) anti-spam
gateway check out ASSP (http://assp.sourceforge.net/)... it was already
one of the most effective options available, but there has been a *lot*
of activity recently, and the improvements are amazing. Combined with
ClamSMTP (http://memberwebs.com/nielsen/software/clamsmtp/) - also very
light-weight, very easy to install, configure and maintain - it has
reduced the load on my server drastically (through its early HELO
checks, and the new PB (PenaltyBox) functionality, and is virtually
maintenance free.

It replaces (for me) SpamAssassin, Postgrey and RBL - and I could most
likely do away with ClamSMTP as well (haven't had a virus get past ASSP
yet, in about 4 months, since I installed ASSP).

1.2 is in the late beta/RC stages, and will most likely be released in
the next week or two. The only negative is, it has been changing so
rapidly, that the documentatiuon hasn't had a cnahce to catch up.

These recent changes began as unofficial changes by Fritz Borgstedt, who
was later made an official developer. You can read all about these
changes in the mail list archives.

As for the other parts, I use Postfix, and am in the process of
converting from Courier to Dovecot (which is why I'm here)...

--

Best regards,

Charles