[Dovecot] Unoffical Survey - What MTA/Spam filtering do you use?

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Tue Apr 18 16:44:50 EEST 2006

Sysadmin wrote:
> Well, I haven't tested it yet, but did check the code, it's written in
> Perl, so surely it's not lightweight,

Quick, your bias is showing... ;-)

There are many ways to use Perl so that it is lightweight (in terms of
performance, since RAM is cheap).  For example, *all* of the inbound
email to the apache.org and perl.[org|com] domains is handled by
qpsmtpd, which is an advanced MTA written in Perl.

	http://smtpd.develooper.com

The next generation qpsmtpd will be capable of handling tens of
thousands of simultaneous inbound connections (currently used only for
spamtraps).

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am one of the developers of qpsmtpd.

> And Assp is also old - June 26, 2005, can't actually trust that old piece of code...

You apparently didn't read very closely; the main project hasn't had a
recent *official* release, but one of the contributors has been
continuing to develop (and his last released code in the 1.1.2 series
was Mar 28, 2006 and in the 1.2.0 series was today).

> Btw, I just tested ClamSmtp, and it passed true viruses, but Amavis did
> catch them.

Did you make sure to update the ClamAV definitions?  Did you make sure
that you configured ClamAV correctly (e.g. to scan inside archives)?  A
quick test done without understanding the tools involved is equivalent
to no test at all.

John

--
John Peacock