DSPAM Plugin Deployment (Was Re: [Dovecot] Unoffical Survey - What MTA/Spam filtering do you use?)

Peter Fern dovecot at obfusc8.org
Wed Apr 19 08:06:19 EEST 2006

Timothy White wrote:

>On 4/19/06, Johannes Berg <johannes at sipsolutions.net> wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 22:56 +0200, Marcus Rueckert wrote:
>>

>>>libdspam instead of system("dspam...")
>>>

>>That's a lot of work, how about calling to the dspam server instead?
>>

>I'm about to start building a system for ~10,000 users, using dovecot,
>and was going to use dspam with it... Is this plugin ready for that
>kind of use? I'll have a global sieve running, cause users won't be
>able to have their own sieves.

I think you might struggle with that many users and the current dspam
plugin implementation - it seems a little heavy, but if you run dspam on
another machine, then use dspamc from the plugin it may be a little
better.  Still, I'd be hesitant to run in that size setup, however I
think if there was some kind of batch processing worked into the plugin
(as I believe was discussed at one stage?) it might work out alright.  I
imagine that would require keeping an index of the signatures of emails
in the folder, then updating the spam status based on the delta between
current and previous indexes in a polling period.  Currently I find my
mail client has a little hiccup whilst it waits for the dspam response
which is disconcerting.  Also, imagine 1000 users moving say a few
messages at once each into a folder, then having to fire up all those
dspam threads... not wonderful.  With the batch system, you could
throttle the number of processes, or any number of other options...

Just idle rambling thoughts...