[Dovecot] Unoffical Survey - What MTA/Spam filtering do you use?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 15:52:38 EEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 04:29, Tomi Hakala wrote:

> > Would love to see so serious analysis of "HELO" based blocking. Whilst I tend
> > to think it is a bad idea, if there are criteria I can exploit in identifying
> > things that aren't genuine mail servers -- it fits the strategy.
>
> Some very broken spam tool sends IP address of an MX host it is speaking
> to in HELO response, this should never happen with real mail hosts so it
> is safe to block all such connections. This blocks high amount of spam
> for us.

The MimeDefang mail list is a good resource for different techniques
to filter spam because it provides a framwork to do a lot of
different checks and can run your choices of spamassassin,
virus scanners, etc.  It only works with sendmail because it
uses the milter interface but many of the techniques discussed
on the mail list would apply to other programs and some
large site administrators participate.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com