[Dovecot] Unoffical Survey - What MTA/Spam filtering do you use?

Wed Apr 19 22:16:02 EEST 2006

> But as regards HELO, I know what the rules for HELO state, and so I know why
> it should work (even if it is considered RFC infringing). But I've never seen
> a detailed analysis of HELO strings in the same manner as I've seen studies
> for the effectiveness of different RBL.

This is one of the things that ASSP has been doing VERY reliably, and
with some of the changes that Fritz has made (PenaltyBox being the main
one), it is even better.

> What I want to see is someone saying "X% of our normal genuine email servers
> were (would have been) caught" & "it stopped (or would have stopped) Y% of
> spam".
>
> Lots of anecdotes don't cut it I'm afraid, not that I don't believe the
> people, just it is different when it is someone elses email you are
> filtering, especially if you are making a Yes/No decision on accepting email
> on the basis of the test. I need to know if it is <1%, <0.1%, or <0.001%
> false positives, as that'll establish how many people get angry. Obviously
> email sources vary, but I need to know where to concentrate the effort.

If you are really interested in how HELO checks can be used to
drastically cut the number of valid connections, I highly suggest trying
out ASSP, or at least checking its code.

--

Best regards,

Charles