[Dovecot] Unoffical Survey - What MTA/Spam filtering do you use?

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Sat Apr 22 00:02:36 EEST 2006

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 05:36:05PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 12:48 -0400, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
> > Well I'll put in another plug for my own piece of work..
> >
> >     http://www.mvmf.org/
> >
> > includes several tools among which are:
> >
> >   - mvmda, mail delivery agent with a powerful scripting language,
> >     including a SIEVE submode (which can be used exclusively or
> >     in conjunction with non-sieve elements);
>
> So when can this use Dovecot directly? ;)

I use it with dovecot now :)

If you mean... updating the indexes and so forth, I have been thinking
about that again lately.  I still think the best thing would be for you
to supply a small utility that can be used by other delivery agents
(or whatever) to either:

  - dumbly deliver a message to a folder, but in a way that's friendly
    to dovecot's indexing, a la uw's tool the name of which escapes me;
or
  - accept some info that would update the indexes for a specific message.

Alternatively I was thinking about adding support for dovecot-style
indexing, but I'd first have to understand those indexes.  The wiki is
empty on the subject and I haven't yet attempted to scour the code.
One problem here is that the delivery agent and dovecot would both have
to agree about what is being indexed; I suppose the delivery agent could
read the dovecot.conf file but I'd like to avoid that level of connection.

> I looked at it when first
> writing Dovecot LDA, but it seemed way too much trouble to use it
> compared to Cyrus Sieve library.

yes it's not packaged to be used as a library, although it could be, as
the code is logically divided up that way.  I've got more than one
application that uses the MFL library (the language that includes
Sieve).

mm