[Dovecot] Plan/Status of MBX support?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 19:40:40 EEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 10:35, Daniel Watts wrote:

> >> sorry just have to ask - does your server actually WORK at loads of 500?
> >> What kind of usage have you got?
> >>

> > ever thought on maildir?
> >

> OP said he has - and the reason he wants MBX support is to support
> writing and reading of LOTS of SMALL emails. maildir overhead from
> creation of new files for each email, allegedly, makes it less efficient
> than a single file MBX.

Unless, of course, you delete one of those small emails which
with mbox format involves copying the entire remaining content into
a temporary file and back or with mbox copying the subsequent
messages backwards to close the hole.  A filesystem that
is efficient at file creation (reiserfs/xfs) probably makes
more sense.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com