[Dovecot] dovecot tring to load sql modules

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Aug 13 21:11:42 EEST 2006

On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 10:15:43AM -0700, Dean Gibson (Mail
Administrator) wrote:
> On 2006-08-13 02:50, Axel Thimm wrote:
> >The fix is to _never_ use --nodeps in rpm and other package managers, and
> >to simply add the mysql libs and ignore their presence.
> >
> >Unless you are setting up an embedded system and are running out of space
> >there is no reason not to allow mysql libs to install.
>
> OT gripe:
>
> Well, if that's what I have to do, that's what I'll do.  It's
> getting to the state where, when you install Linux, you just have to
> install everything, or administration becomes a treasure hunt.
> Otherwise, every time you want to install a package, you have to go
> on a treasure hunt.  It's also why I search for RPMS rather than
> doing a build from source; that's also a treasure hunt for more
> files.  Do you know that you can't run the printer command-line
> configuration tools on Linux unless you have the GUI installed? You
> can't set the time zone with the tools provided unless you have some
> other giant package installed (I forget which) that I don't need.  I
> run several Linux servers, and I don't need that GUI crap on each
> server.  I thought one of the fundamental security concepts was, if
> you don't need it, don't install it.

Installing support for mysql client libs does not imply you have to
run a mysql server (or even access one). That's what security is about
when discussing minimal systems in a security context.

> I first started with RH Linux 5.2 and it was a joy.  However,
> starting with about RH Linux 7.0, Linux developers have lost sight
> of the original goal, in my opinion, which is to have a small,
> easily managed server system.
>
> I don't have any problem with the dovecot RPM having support for God
> knows what, built in.  What would be nice is that if I don't reference
> it in dovecot.conf, then it doesn't get called.

Do you need hyperbole and elliptic functions? Or maybe not even sqrt?
Should then glibc allow riping them out? Of course not.

And what shoudl any packaging system do when you suddenly do reference
mysql support in dovecot.conf? Should it automatically install the
missing libs the moment you leave the editor?

> End of gripe.  I'll go find the required (but unused) packages and
> install them, and hope that they don't drag in stall more (unused) crap.

If you use --nodeps you'll end up with a broken system.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net