[Dovecot] duplicate emails

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Dec 3 14:42:49 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 09:48 +0100, Adam Lackorzynski wrote:
> One of my users is seeing duplicate mails occasionally too. Client is
> Sylpheed with POP3. It is quite seldom, maybe twice a month, using
> POP3 several hours a day. We've been seeing this for some time now,
> including up to rc13.

Is the client configured to keep the mails in the server or delete them?

> > What do you see in logs? Does the client disconnect normally, or is
> > there a timeout, crash or something?
>
> Nothing exciting in the logs, everything looks normal.

If the client is configured to delete the mails, I think the only
possible reason is that the connection dies before the mails have been
deleted. So when that happens, it would be useful to know what exactly
the log says was the reason. Possible reasons are:

 - Logged out: A normal logout with QUIT command. Should have worked
correctly.
 - Disconnected for inactivity: This has sometimes been a bug in
Dovecot, but I'm not aware of any such bugs currently. It could also
just be a network problem.
 - Disconnected: The client disconnected. Probably a network problem.

Then there are also some other reasons which could be Dovecot problems.