[Dovecot] duplicate emails

Sean Kamath kamath at geekoids.com
Sun Dec 3 19:53:52 UTC 2006

I'm having similar problems (and have, off and on, for a long time,
including with other mail servers).

On Dec 3, 2006, at 9:42 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 09:48 +0100, Adam Lackorzynski wrote:
>> One of my users is seeing duplicate mails occasionally too. Client is
>> Sylpheed with POP3. It is quite seldom, maybe twice a month, using
>> POP3 several hours a day. We've been seeing this for some time now,
>> including up to rc13.
>
> Is the client configured to keep the mails in the server or delete
> them?

In my case, yes.  I mean both. ;-)

>>> What do you see in logs? Does the client disconnect normally, or is
>>> there a timeout, crash or something?
>>
>> Nothing exciting in the logs, everything looks normal.
>
> If the client is configured to delete the mails, I think the only
> possible reason is that the connection dies before the mails have been
> deleted. So when that happens, it would be useful to know what exactly
> the log says was the reason. Possible reasons are:
>
>  - Logged out: A normal logout with QUIT command. Should have worked
> correctly.
>  - Disconnected for inactivity: This has sometimes been a bug in
> Dovecot, but I'm not aware of any such bugs currently. It could also
> just be a network problem.

I recently got a set of duplicate emails (including this one).  I did
have some connectivity problems late last night, and this I saw in
the log file:

Dec  1 10:42:04 stove dovecot: [ID 107833 mail.info] IMAP(kamath):
Disconnected for inactivity
Dec  1 10:42:07 stove dovecot: [ID 107833 mail.error] IMAP(kamath): X-
IMAPbase uid-last unexpectedly lost in mbox file /var/mail/kamath

Sean