[Dovecot] convert_mail ?

Andrew Ziem andrewz at springsrescuemission.org
Mon Dec 4 19:20:34 UTC 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:

>>> Yep.
>> Thank you very much.  After the conversion, are the files in /~
>> renamed or moved?
> I didn't really think of that.. Currently it would rename your whole
> home directory to to <user>-converted, which I guess you wouldn't
> really want.
That would be very undesirable, and if it dropped privileges at that
point, the operation would fail.   (In our case, we use NFS root_squash,
so it should fail either way.)
> Hmm. I'm not really sure how it even should work. Maybe instead of
> renaming it could create a .dovecot-converted-file..?
I prefer preserving the mbox file names but moving the files to a new,
hidden directory like ~/.converted-mbox .  Preserving the file names is
consistent with the other behavior, and it's easier to reverse the
conversion.
>> Is the CVS stable, or should I wait for 1.0 RC 16?
> Should be stable if you use branch_1_0 branch and not HEAD.
I'm guessing the new convert feature is in both, but if it tries to
rename ~, then I'll wait.  :)

Andrew