[Dovecot] Support for Kmail maildir format

Graham Cobb g+dovecot at cobb.uk.net
Sat Feb 4 02:15:56 EET 2006

On Thursday 26 Jan 2006 20:03, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> And does kmail work worse via IMAP, or why aren't you just renaming the
> folders to Maildir++ format and make all mail access through Dovecot?

Although I don't want to make all my access through IMAP (mainly for
performance and reliability reasons) I realised that there is a much easier
solution than implementing Kmail's format in dovecot.  I just create
softlinks from the dovecot directory to the Kmail directories to make them
look like Maildir++.  This allows dovecot to export them to other clients.

I have created a shell script which goes through a Kmail folder store and
creates all the softlinks.  It handles both maildir and mbox format folders
(as dovecot cannot handle both formats in one namespace the script puts the
maildir folders in the main dovecot directory tree and the mbox folders in
a .../mbox subtree).

The script is available at http://www.cobb.uk.net/imap-export.  It is designed
to be invoked as something like:

  imap-export ~/Mail ~/dovecot

and it assumes the dovecot configuration includes something like:

namespace private {
 separator = /
 prefix =
 location = maildir:~/dovecot