[Dovecot] Re: Support for Kmail maildir format

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 14:59:59 EET 2006

Graham Cobb wrote:

> On Thursday 26 Jan 2006 20:03, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>> And does kmail work worse via IMAP, or why aren't you just renaming the
>> folders to Maildir++ format and make all mail access through Dovecot?
>
> Although I don't want to make all my access through IMAP (mainly for
> performance and reliability reasons) I realised that there is a much
> easier
> solution than implementing Kmail's format in dovecot.  I just create
> softlinks from the dovecot directory to the Kmail directories to make them
> look like Maildir++.  This allows dovecot to export them to other clients.
>
> I have created a shell script which goes through a Kmail folder store and
> creates all the softlinks.  It handles both maildir and mbox format
> folders (as dovecot cannot handle both formats in one namespace the script
> puts the maildir folders in the main dovecot directory tree and the mbox
> folders in a .../mbox subtree).
>
> The script is available at http://www.cobb.uk.net/imap-export.  It is
> designed to be invoked as something like:
>
>   imap-export ~/Mail ~/dovecot
>
> and it assumes the dovecot configuration includes something like:
>
> namespace private {
>  separator = /
>  prefix =
>  location = maildir:~/dovecot
>  inbox = no
>  hidden = no
> }
> namespace private {
>  separator = /
>  prefix = mbox/
>  location = mbox:~/dovecot/mbox
>  inbox = no
>  hidden = no
> }

Interesting.  One question.  Since there are namespaces,
# REMEMBER: If you add any namespaces, the default namespace must be added
# explicitly, ie. default_mail_env does nothing unless you have a namespace

But both of the above have inbox=no.  Is it not required to have one
namespace with inbox=yes?  Sorry, I'm just learning about namespaces.