[Dovecot] configuring lda

Lenny lenny at edpausa.com
Sat Feb 4 16:35:38 EET 2006

> On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 13:35 -0500, Lenny wrote:
>> after coping lda stanza into the config file, I get "unknown protocol
>> name"
>> error. adding lda to the list of protocols doesn't seem to do the trick.
>
> This looks like you're running too old Dovecot version. Versions before
> 1.0.beta1 didn't like having "protocol lda" in dovecot.conf.

No, I'm running the very latest version. v1.0 beta2. Compiled with default
options, just added LDFLAGS for ssl libs.
Like I said /usr/local/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/deliver is present.

>> It is my undertanding that using dovecot-lda would help maintain the
>> indexes in proper state ( as opposed to using procmail and having to
>> rebuild indexes from scratch upon delivery of large amounts of mail ) ?
>
> Well, not completely rebuild. It only adds the newly found mails.

 With large mbox folders, 10000+ messages with delivery 10-15 messages per
minute, I wasn't even able to connect to the folder at all. I would only
get time out errors. Meanwhile, wu-imap worked fine with same folder,
although not very fast. I assumed it was either a problem with locking (
fcntl - solaris) or index rebuilds.

Thank you for the reply.