[Dovecot] configuring lda

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Feb 7 17:21:15 EET 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-04 at 09:35 -0500, Lenny wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 13:35 -0500, Lenny wrote:
> >> after coping lda stanza into the config file, I get "unknown protocol
> >> name"
> >> error. adding lda to the list of protocols doesn't seem to do the trick.
> >
> > This looks like you're running too old Dovecot version. Versions before
> > 1.0.beta1 didn't like having "protocol lda" in dovecot.conf.
>
> No, I'm running the very latest version. v1.0 beta2. Compiled with default
> options, just added LDFLAGS for ssl libs.
> Like I said /usr/local/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/deliver is present.

Well, that error message comes if Dovecot's master binary doesn't
recognize the name in "protocol name {". If it's not "imap", "pop3" or
"lda" this error comes. So if you had "protocol lda {" in there without
any typos or some other weirdness, the only possibility is that the
error message didn't come from beta2..

> >> It is my undertanding that using dovecot-lda would help maintain the
> >> indexes in proper state ( as opposed to using procmail and having to
> >> rebuild indexes from scratch upon delivery of large amounts of mail ) ?
> >
> > Well, not completely rebuild. It only adds the newly found mails.
>

>  With large mbox folders, 10000+ messages with delivery 10-15 messages per
> minute, I wasn't even able to connect to the folder at all. I would only
> get time out errors. Meanwhile, wu-imap worked fine with same folder,
> although not very fast. I assumed it was either a problem with locking (
> fcntl - solaris) or index rebuilds.

Did Dovecot print any errors to its log files then? And this was with
1.0beta?

I don't really see why Dovecot would work here differently than UW-IMAP.
Indexes shouldn't be the problem.. With 0.99.x I could undestand that it
keeps resyncing the whole mbox every time a new mail comes, but 1.0beta
should just be looking at the new mails once it has done the initial
sync (unless you changed mbox_dirty_syncs setting).