[Dovecot] Outlook anonymous IMAP login

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Feb 7 16:52:47 EET 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 12:43 +0100, Vincent Jaussaud wrote:
> My assumption is that Outlook doesn't provide anonymous IMAP support.

That's right. Most IMAP clients don't since it's so rarely used.

> Could someone confirm this ? Do you know if any workaround/anonymous
> plugin exist ?

You could create anonymous user with empty password, which would then be
used.

If you upgraded to 1.0beta, you could do this:

passdb passwd-file {
  args = /etc/anon.passwd
}
passdb pam {
}
userdb passwd-file {
  args = /etc/anon.passwd
}
userdb passwd {
}

Where /etc/anon.passwd contains something like:

anonymous:{PLAIN}:1000:1000:,,,:/home/anonymous:/bin/false