[Dovecot] Out of memory problem

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Feb 7 17:13:02 EET 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 12:00 +0200, Neil Wilson wrote:
> Hi Timo,
>
> The user has over 1000 messages in his inbox, and about 150 folders, and
>   I'm not sure how many emails he has in the rest of the folders.
>
> It's only the one folder that isn't responding when I click on it, and
> it either logs me out straight away when I click on the folder, or sits
> for about 20 seconds, and then logs me out.
>
> I am using Horde/IMP/ to view the messages, but his email client
> Thunderbird also does a similar thing.
>
> I tried to delete the index files, and I still get the same error in my
> mail log.

Well, that's strange then. But since you're using maildir, you should be
able to easily check how many mails he has in the mailbox that can't be
opened? ie. ls Maildir/.folder.name/cur/|wc -l

Did you try if raising mail_process_size helps?

> Feb  7 11:47:26 mail dovecot: imap(ralphs): Corrupted index cache file
> /home/ralphs/Maildir/dovecot.index.cache: Duplicated field in header:
> hdr.CONTENT-TYPE

This shouldn't happen, but it looks like there's some bug which causes
it to be added twice there. Anyway, this error is harmless and
completely transparent to client.