[Dovecot] Out of memory problem

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 8 09:52:45 EET 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 09:24 +0200, Neil Wilson wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 12:00 +0200, Neil Wilson wrote:
> > Well, that's strange then. But since you're using maildir, you should be
> > able to easily check how many mails he has in the mailbox that can't be
> > opened? ie. ls Maildir/.folder.name/cur/|wc -l
>
> Thanks, I forgot that checking through the client wasn't the only way to
> see how many mails were in the folders.
>
> Below is the count of mails in the folder.
>
> .Saved\ mails.Legal.Company\ register/cur/ | wc -l 	47
>
> > Did you try if raising mail_process_size helps?
> Yes, I raised it to 512MB and it still did the same thing.
>
> Is it worth trying to upgrade to the latest dovecot version, or will I
> sit with the same problem?

I don't remember fixing any important memory leaks, so upgrading
probably won't help.

These kinds of problems are a bit difficult to debug. One thing you
could do is check with gdb where it dies:

ulimit -v 131072
MAIL=/home/user/Maildir gdb /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
b i_fatal_status
run

x select "Saved mails.Legal.Company register"

Does it crash here already? If not, do another command:

x fetch 1:* (envelope body rfc822.size internaldate flags)

If it still didn't crash, check with rawlog (see dovecot.org ->
bugreports) what Thunderbird is sending and send the same commands.

In any case, when it then finally breaks at i_fatal_status, do "bt full"
command and send me the result. Also it would be helpful if the binary
still contained debugging information (maybe run it with src/imap/imap
instead in Dovecot's source directory where it's at least not stripped).