[Dovecot] Dovecot does not access /var/mail when using Maildir

mirko at mirkonet.nl mirko at mirkonet.nl
Wed Feb 8 10:31:28 EET 2006

Hello,

I'm running debain on my machine with postfix, squirrelmail and dovecot
installed. Everything works fine and I'm able to access my mail via
squirrelmail and via Outlook with imap.
However I want to create subfolders what is not possible. After reading I
discovered that I use mbox and that maildir is needed in order to be able
to use subfolders.
I have created a Maildir folder with the  maildirmake.dovecot command in
my /home/mirko directory and corrected the owner.
Now dovecot uses the Maildir and I can create subfolers. However my
problem is that I don't receive Emails in my Inbox. Incoming mails are
delivered to /var/mail/mirko, but when dovecot uses Maildir it doesn't
access this. I have played with the default_mail_env settings in
dovecot.conf which does influence the use of mbox or Maildir. However the
problem remains: As soon as Maildir is used, the Inbox is empty and I
don't receive Email.

Is there a way when Maildir is used to point dovecot to /var/mail/ for the
incoming Email? Or do I something else wrong?
Your help is appreciated.

Greetings,
Mirko