[Dovecot] Simulating UW Snarf...

Todd Piket todd at mtu.edu
Wed Feb 8 22:50:17 EET 2006

Thank you Timo and Lorens for your quick responses.  Timo, I thought as
much in regards to the rename()s, but I was hoping.

Lorens, the INBOX in /var/spool/mail/%u would keep the INBOX on a
non-quota file system.  This means Dovecot reads the user's INBOX from
/var/spool/mail/%u which is not what we want.  We want the INBOX to be
in the home directory.  Users could leave mail in /var/spool/mail/%u and
it would never go over quota.  That is, obviously, not what we want.  We
need to never bounce mail yet deliver the mail that has built up for an
over quota user as quickly as we can once that user goes below quota.
If Dovecot moved the mail from /var/spool/mail/%u to the user's homedir
then that is exactly what I want.  As long as it fails gracefully if the
user is over quota.

Other reasons keep us from creating separate mail queues and attempting
to redeliver at intervals.  Mainly, volume of mail.

Regards,

| Todd Piket                        | Email: todd at mtu.edu    |
| Programmer/Analyst                | Phone: (906) 487-1720  |
| Distributed Computing Services    |                        |
| Michigan Technological University |                        |