[Dovecot] Simulating UW Snarf...

Lorens dovecot.fdop at tagged.lorens.org
Wed Feb 8 23:18:45 EET 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 03:50:17PM -0500, Todd Piket wrote:
> Thank you Timo and Lorens for your quick responses.  Timo, I thought as
> much in regards to the rename()s, but I was hoping.
>
> Lorens, the INBOX in /var/spool/mail/%u would keep the INBOX on a
> non-quota file system.  This means Dovecot reads the user's INBOX from
> /var/spool/mail/%u which is not what we want.  We want the INBOX to be
> in the home directory.  Users could leave mail in /var/spool/mail/%u and
> it would never go over quota.  That is, obviously, not what we want.

OK... quick check, yes, in a pure maildir environment even when
I keep my mails "new", they are still moved from new to cur. I
wasn't certain :-)

> We
> need to never bounce mail yet deliver the mail that has built up for an
> over quota user as quickly as we can once that user goes below quota.
> If Dovecot moved the mail from /var/spool/mail/%u to the user's homedir
> then that is exactly what I want.  As long as it fails gracefully if the
> user is over quota.

I suppose that your "perfect" scenario would be if dovecot moved
mail from /var/spool/mail/%u to ~/Maildir before sending it to
the client, and failed with an "over quota" error message if the
move to the maildir failed because it was over quota? Of course
that means that mail is only moved when the client reads it, not
as soon as he goes under quota, but you have the same behaviour
with the other solutions.