[Dovecot] configuring lda

Lenny lenny at edpausa.com
Thu Feb 9 05:52:56 EET 2006

> Well, that error message comes if Dovecot's master binary doesn't
> recognize the name in "protocol name {". If it's not "imap", "pop3" or
> "lda" this error comes. So if you had "protocol lda {" in there without
> any typos or some other weirdness, the only possibility is that the
> error message didn't come from beta2..

dovecot-1.0.beta2

Does dovecot need to be compiled --without-deliver option to add
dovecot-lda later on ? Not very clear on the procedure, maybe that's why
it doesn't work.

dovecot-lda compile errors on solaris 9, cc.

CC=cc ./configure --with-dovecot=../dovecot-1.0.beta2

Making all in libsieve
source='comparator.c' object='comparator.o' libtool=no \
DEPDIR=.deps depmode=none /bin/bash ../../depcomp \
cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../..
-I/export/home/sho/src/dovecot/dovecot-1.0.beta2
-I/export/home/sho/src/dovecot/dovecot-1.0.beta2/src/lib  -I../../src
-g -c comparator.c
"comparator.c", line 149: syntax error before or at: __attribute__
"comparator.c", line 149: warning: undefined or missing type for:
__attribute__
"comparator.c", line 212: warning: statement not reached
"comparator.c", line 213: cannot recover from previous errors
cc: acomp failed for comparator.c

> I don't really see why Dovecot would work here differently than UW-IMAP.
> Indexes shouldn't be the problem.. With 0.99.x I could undestand that it
> keeps resyncing the whole mbox every time a new mail comes, but 1.0beta
> should just be looking at the new mails once it has done the initial
> sync (unless you changed mbox_dirty_syncs setting).

mbox folder with ~10000 messages opens up instantly once indexed, via imap
client or web client. once a single message is appended, it takes more
then a minute to open the same folder. If message arrives every 30
seconds, the folder can not be opened at all. Any suggestions ?
all dirty_sync settings are at their defaults.