[Dovecot] Maximum Folder Size/Number of Messages

Ropetin ropetin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 02:56:58 EET 2006

I hope I'm asking this question in the right place,  I don't want to offend.

I've recently put together a proof of concept Dovecot IMAP server, and
I'm very happy with its performance up to this point.  I'm looking into
using it to replace our existing POP3 server, allowing users to store
email on the server rather than on their local machine, hopefully
avoiding loss of data.  The big question I have is, is there a realistic
maximum realistic folder size, either in reference to number of messages
or total file size with Dovecot?

I'm using Maildir and running it on Debian Linux x86.  Right now the
filesystem is Ext3, although once the system goes live I'd be looking at
something a little more fault tolerant and able to handle the large
amount of data.  Any recommendations you may have on Filesystem choice
are appreciated too!

Thanks,
Ropetin.