[Dovecot] Maximum Folder Size/Number of Messages

Gregory Bond gnb at itga.com.au
Mon Feb 13 04:09:20 EET 2006

Ropetin wrote:

>  The big question I have is, is there a realistic maximum realistic
> folder size, either in reference to number of messages or total file
> size with Dovecot?

The main question is your intended mail folder format -  mbox or maildir?

Each have various tradeoffs (mbox better for huge numbers of read-only
msgs, maildir better for huge but actively changing folders).  Dovecot
doesn't (afaict) conveniently support mixed folder format (except for
the special case of INBOX).

I personally run with several Gb of Maildir, with folders of 20k+
messages (my spam folder :<) and Dovecot has
never been a problem..... pity I can't say the same about Thunderbird :<