[Dovecot] One dovecot, multiple domains

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Wed Feb 15 21:19:19 EET 2006

Ben wrote:
> My (also limited, but growing) understanding of a server cert is that
> you can bind it either to an IP address or to a FQDN.

Not unless the IP address is the "name" you use as the server address.
By this I mean, if you have mail.example1.com and mail.example2.com both
bound to the same IP address 1.2.3.4, then you can only have an SSL
certificate for one of those two names or all users must refer to the
server by its IP address exclusively (and the IP address will have to be
the Common Name in the cert).

If you have more than one domain, and they are not related (in the sense
that they are all known to users of each other), *and* hence you must
use multiple SSL certificates, you must have multiple IP addresses bound
to the server.  This has nothing to do with what CA is used to sign the
certs.

HTH

John

--